Tuttle Creek Lake was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1938 with
construction starting on October 7, 1952 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The main feature that creates this lake on the Big Blue River is the dam,
which is constructed of approximately 21,000,000 cubic yards of earth and
rock fill. Final closure of the dam was completed on July 20, 1959 and
the normal pool elevation (1,075.0 feet) of the lake behind the dam was
first reached on April 29, 1963.