This agreement made this 9th day of April 2001, by and between the Board of Education of Unified School District No. 383, Riley County, Kansas, hereinafter referred to as the Board, and Sharol I. Little, hereinafter referred to as Superintendent.
1. The Board hereby agrees to employ Superintendent, and Superintendent hereby accepts employment for an initial term of three (3) years commencing July 1, 2001, subject to the covenants and conditions stated herein, which term may be extended in accordance with the provision of Paragraph 16 below.
2. The Superintendent shall have charge of the administration of the school district under the direction of the School Board. The Superintendent shall be the chief executive officer of the School Board; shall direct and assign teachers and other employees of the schools under the Superintendentís supervision; shall organize, reorganize and arrange the administrative and supervisory staff, including instruction and business affairs, as best serves the School District subject to the approval of the School Board; shall select all personnel subject to the approval of the School board; shall from time to time suggest policies, regulations, rules and procedures deemed necessary for the School District, and in general perform all duties incident to the Office of the Superintendent and such other duties as may be prescribed by the School Board, individually and collectively, shall refer to the Superintendent for her study and recommendation those criticisms, complaints, and suggestions called to the attention of the School Board which the School Board would expect the Superintendent to address.
3. As compensation for her services, the Board agrees to pay Superintendent an annual salary of $140,000.00. The annual salary shall be paid in equal monthly installments in accordance with the rules of the District governing payment to other certified employees.
4. The Board retains the right to adjust the annual salary of the Superintendent during the term of the contract but no such adjustment shall reduce her annual salary below the figure stated above. In addition, the Board may adjust the benefits detailed in items 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 of this agreement but no such adjustment shall reduce those benefits to the Superintendent below the amounts indicated herein.
5. The Superintendent shall furnish through the term of this contract a valid and appropriate Kansas School Administrator Certificate.
6. While the Superintendent shall devote full time and due diligence to the affairs and the activities of the School District, the Superintendent may serve as a consultant to other school districts or educational agencies, lecture, engage in writing and speaking activities, and engage in other activities if such activities do not impede the Superintendentís ability to perform the duties of the Superintendency.
7. The Superintendent will be allowed up to five (5) days per year for consulting, speaking, writing or similar professional educational-related work, if such commitments do not interfere with the efficient operation of the School District. The School District shall not be responsible for any travel or other related expenses in regard to such work. Any expenses or payment to the Superintendent for such activities shall be retained by the Superintendent.
8. The Superintendent agrees to have a comprehensive medical examination annually. The Superintendent will annually file with the Clerk of the District a physicianís statement certifying to her physical capacity, which will be maintained as confidential by the district. The cost of the required physical examinations will be borne by the district.
9. In addition to the annual salary as provided in Paragraph 3 above, the Board shall pay to the Superintendent an expense allowance of $600.00 per month for the purpose of defraying the cost in-district transportation, required by the performance of her duties.
10. The Board shall provide the Superintendent a full family health insurance fringe benefit on a monthly basis under the Districtís current insurance plan, which includes routine eye exams and covered dental services.
11. The Superintendent shall be entitled to twenty (20) days of vacation annually, exclusive of legal holidays. In the event the Superintendent does not use the earned vacation within eighteen (18) months, of the contract year during which such days were accrued, an extension may be granted by the Board in special circumstances. In the event that the Superintendentís employment by the Board in any capacity is terminated, either by expiration of her contract or vote of the Board, or voluntarily by the Superintendent either through resignation or retirement, the Board shall compensate here based on her average daily salary for accumulated unused vacation leave, personal leave, and not to exceed 90 days of accumulated sick leave. In case of death, this payment would be made to her beneficiaries.
12. The Board shall purchase insurance covering the Superintendent, with the same coverage as currently provided as for other district and administrative staff. The Board shall purchase public liability insurance covering the Superintendentís performance of her duties hereunder which shall fully fund the Boardís obligation to the Superintendent pursuant to Kansas Tort Claims Act.
13. The Superintendent shall be afforded the same sick leave and retirement benefits as currently provided for other employees of the Board. Unused sick leave shall be compensated pursuant to paragraph eleven (11) herein. In addition, Superintendent shall be entitled to one (1) day per year of personal leave, which may be accumulated to five (5) days, which shall be compensated pursuant to Paragraph 11 herein.
14. The Superintendent shall attend appropriate professional meetings at local, state and national levels. Expenses of her attendance shall be borne by the Board upon filing of an itemized statement of expenses with the Clerk of the District. The Board shall reimburse the Superintendent for all other reasonable expenses incurred in the performance of her duties, such reimbursement to be made upon filing of an itemized statement of such expenses with the Clerk of the District.
15. The Board shall provide the Superintendent with periodic opportunities to discuss relationships between the Superintendent and the Board, and the Board shall provide the Superintendent with a written evaluation each February based upon her job description and the individual objectives for her position mutually developed and agreed upon by the parties.
16. The Board shall act upon the extension of the contract for an additional one-year period. Unless the Superintendent is notified to the contrary by the action of the Board in writing on or before March 1 of each year the initial term of this contract shall be extended for an additional one year (1) year period. If the Board does not similarly act and/or give such notice the contract shall be automatically extended for another year and from year to year thereafter, under its existing terms, or as modified by mutual agreement of the Superintendent and Board.
17. If any specific clause in this contract is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal or void, the remaining portions of the contract not affected by such decision shall continue in full force and effect.
18. This agreement constitutes the entire understanding of the parties with regard to Superintendentís employment, and shall not be modified except by written agreement of similar formality executed by both parties.
Witnessed and Signed